Friday, February 10, 2017

tools for box making

I got a letter from a reader as follows: 
"I enjoy working carpentry as a hobby and  I would like to learn about box making, I recently discovered your blog and its great, but I'm not sure if a have the right tools, of course, have some tools but I would like to know which ones do you consider  are the essential ones to start working in box making and which ones you recommend to get for a better job."
For a beginning box maker, even one with carpentry experience,  I suggest that my reader consider one of my books, or a box making book by another fine author. They will show the kinds of tools that I routinely use and provide all kinds of techniques using those tools that will be useful in box making. I also teach summer classes and weekend classes for woodworking clubs. Having tools is sone thing. Knowing how to use them safely and effectively another.

I was reminded of a reader years ago, who knowing that his father in law was coming from Japan, wanted to make a box to give him as a gift. He chose a box from chapter 7 of my first book, then went through the book from the beginning, buying each tool. When it came time to build the box (two weeks before the arrival of his new father in law) he called me asking how to get started. Having the right tools is not the same as knowing how to use them.

That said, I use the table saw, jointer, planer, router table, clamps of various kinds, whereas the carpenter these days may use a skill saw, compound miter saw, and hammers.

In box making with kids at the Clear Spring School, we use hand saws, planes, hammers, and nails, so the full shop approach is not required, and if a person wants to get going at it, a good solution is to start with what you have and build from there.

The box shown above is by one of my 5th grade students, and made for her teacher, Hannah.



No comments: